Grab your bestie, a picnic dinner, and a blanket or low-profile beach chairs and make your way to Burton Chace Park for FREE Summer Concerts – kicking off on July 11th! On alternating Thursdays, starting July 11th, enjoy classical and opera performances at Symphonic Thursdays. […]
Author: Mar Vista Mom
Get yourself a bargain book – and support the public library – at the Mar Vista Library Book Sale on Saturday, June 8th from 9:30am – 3pm. The library is located at 12006 Venice Blvd. 90066. Hosted by the Friends of the Mar Vista Library, […]
Historic Fire Station 62 is kicking off their fundraising campaign on Saturday, June 15th from 12pm – 3pm with a super fun Community BBQ/Picnic – and the event will be held at the NEW FIRE STATION 62 at 11970 Venice Blvd.
There will be delicious food from these local restaurants:
– RUSTIC KITCHEN
– LITTLE FATTY
– ALANA’S COFFEE ROASTERS
– WESTSIDE LIQUOR STORE
Friends of Historic Fire Station 62 is dedicated to the transformation of Historic Fire Station 62 into a multipurpose community center for all of Mar Vista and the surrounding community. This will be a place where the young, the old, and those in-between can come for enrichment, assistance, education, and recreation.
Come to the event to discover the exciting ideas they have planned for the Historic Fire Station 62 space and how you can help.
A COMMUNITY BBQ PICNIC
SATURDAY, JUNE 15 – 12PM TO 3PM
HELD AT THE NEW FIRE STATION 62
11970 Venice Blvd. L.A. CA 90066
If it’s June it must be SUMMER READING CHALLENGE time!! 📚 The library kicks-off “It’s Showtime, be a star at the library!” on Monday, May 10th with the children’s program Circus Fantastico Puppet Show at 3pm. Register to enter the Summer Reading Challenge online at lapl.org or at the Reference Desk and collect […]
The Mar Vista Community Council Elections take place THIS SUNDAY, June 2nd from 10am – 4pm at the Mar Vista Rec Center (aka Mar Vista Park). There are some terrific candidates running this time and I have made some endorsements, so check that out right […]
The Annual Herbalife 24 Triathlon takes place this Sunday, June 2nd, and that means Venice Blvd will be closed.
There will be crossing points at Centinela and Sepulveda in the Mar Vista area, so no need to panic – but be prepared for your North-South trips to take a little longer that day.
See their website for all the information, but here’s a map of the route.
ARTsea takes place on Saturday, May 18 and Sunday, May 19 at Marina “Mother’s” Beach. This free outdoor event welcomes Angelenos of all ages to celebrate Southern California’s vibrant art, culture and music scene.
ARTSea Events + Happenings
Curated art galleries
– Andrew Philip Cortes presents an installation and experimental environment titled NSEW
– Love and Guts showcase their signature, “Skateboarding Killed the Art Show”
– Grab Bag Studio presents the work of Los Angeles-based artists Brian Chambers and Lux
Hands-on art workshops and interactive activities
– ‘Can the Trash’ Clean Beach Poster Contest – Third-, fourth- and fifth-grade students can enter to have their artwork seen by millions of beachgoers as part of DBH’s educational campaign
– Makers Mess – Make a farmer’s market-themed block print or craft a nautical-inspired flower crown
Large-scale art installations and site-specific pieces from local artists
– Colorful banners and wind-garden by San Diego artist Jose Sainz
– Sea Creatures by Los Angeles-based art collective Aphidoidea
A marketplace with local artisan-made craft items
– JDN73 – Screen printed clothing designed by native LA artist Jorge Nunez
– Eclectic Hoops – Hand-crafted dance hoops on the beach
– Teru Ai Ceramics – Artisan hand-glazed ceramics
Plenty of dining options for all to enjoy
– More than a dozen food trucks including Blast Ice Cream, The Grilled Cheese Truck and Cousins Maine Lobster
– Beer and Wine Garden hosted by Cafe del Rey
– Many waterfront restaurants throughout the Marina
All-day musical entertainment from day into night
– Grateful Shred will headline the festival Saturday night. These LA-based studio-session musicians will channel the elusive Grateful Dead vibe with wide-open guitar tones, effortless three-part vocal harmonies, and yes, plenty of tripped-out, Shredded solos
– DJ sessions from KCRW’s DJ Raul Campos and DJ Novena Carmel
– Interactive JAM sessions and performances with Betty Rox, Kati Hernandez and CONTRA-TIEMPO, presented in association with the Ford Theatre Foundation
– Georgia Anne Muldrow, a local hip-hop, jazz and soul musician, will perform with Dudley Perkins aka Declaime featuring special guest DJ Battlecat
– La Chamba’s sound is known as “Chicha Angelina,” a unique fusion of the psychedelic vintage tones of ’60s Peruvian “Chicha” Surf Pop