Author: Mar Vista Mom
Are you ready for Valentine’s Day? There were plenty of gift ideas at the Mar Vista Farmers’ Market today. Soaptopia had lovely and appropriately-named soaps that would make great gifts, Vegaron macarons would be great, and there was beautiful jewelry by Alexandra Brownfield. PLUS Strawberries, which are perfect for Valentine’s Day desserts! And maybe your valentine would like a lovely plant like one of these? Enjoy!
Friday, February 9, 6-9pm Let the Good Times Roll at Runway Playa Vista with Mardi Gras Fun. Catch some Cajun at Runway this month! New Orleans arrives on the Westside for a night of revelry for the whole family! Celebrate Playa Vista’s First Annual Mardi […]
Hope you’re enjoying this amazingly beautiful day as the Football Game of the Year approaches. The Mar Vista Farmers’ Market had all the avocados you could possibly need for the guacamole I feel is required when you watch. Plus have you seen these lettuce mix […]
It was like a Summer day today at the Mar Vista Farmers’ Market – hot and bustling! I loved seeing all the veggies: carrots, potatoes, kale, and kohlrabi. Plus check out the cool ice cream company doing a demo today: Scoops on Tap – beer-infused […]
Don’t miss this important opportunity to help!
The Red Cross is partnering with LAPD Pacific Division for a Blood Drive on Tuesday, January 30th, from 8AM-8PM – and they are inviting the community to participate; to donate and help save lives.
This January, National Blood Donor Month, the American Red Cross has an urgent need for blood and platelet donors of all blood types to give now to help address a winter blood donation shortage that could affect patient care.
• Severe winter weather has had a tremendous impact on blood donations already this year, with nearly 500 blood drives forced to cancel causing about 13,000 blood and platelet donations to go uncollected.
• Blood and platelet donations are urgently needed in the coming days so that patients can continue to receive lifesaving treatments.
• Donors in weather-affected areas are urged to give blood or platelets when storms have passed and it is safe to travel.
• Donors in areas unaffected by the weather may be helping patients close to home or patients in areas where donors are unable to give because of inclement weather.
• Right now, blood and platelet donations are being distributed to hospitals as fast as they come in.
• The Red Cross must collect more than 13,000 blood and platelet donations every day for patients at about 2,600 hospitals and transfusion centers nationwide.
• Blood and platelets are needed for accident and burn victims, heart surgery and organ transplant patients, and those receiving treatment for leukemia, cancer or sickle cell disease.
• Platelet and type O negative and B negative blood donations – in particular – are critically needed right now.
• Platelets, a key clotting component of blood often needed by cancer patients, must be used within five days of donation and are in constant demand.
• By giving platelets regularly, donors can help patients kick cancer and recover from other life-threatening illnesses and injuries.
• Type O negative is the universal blood type and what emergency room personnel reach for when there is no time to determine the blood type of patients in the most serious situations.
• Type B negative blood can be transfused to Rh-positive or negative patients.
Now is the time to help ensure the shelves are stocked with the lifesaving blood and platelet donations patients depend on when disasters and severe winter weather strike, and for everyday survival.
• Winter weather, an active cold and flu season, and hectic holiday schedules collectively contributed to more than 28,000 fewer donations than what was needed in November and December.
• Additionally, a busy holiday season in November and December contributed to nearly 550 fewer blood drives hosted by volunteer sponsor groups and coordinators than the two previous months.
• More than 80 percent of blood donations are made at blood drives organized by volunteer sponsor groups and coordinators.
• Many of these groups postpone blood drives during the winter holidays when regular donors are busy with holiday activities and travel, which limits the availability of blood drives for people to attend.
Runway Playa Vista rolls out Food Truck Friday! Expanding on the extremely popular monthly Night Markets, Runway brings the best of SoCal Food Trucks to Playa Vista the last Friday of every month! RSVP and share the event details here. Public art is a significant […]