Mar Vista’s Latest Solar Home: Mine!

Phase Two of my home’s solar conversion is complete! There are enough black glass panels on my roof now to qualify it as an electrical generator. You can read about phase one here. Here’s my roof before:  Here’s what it looked like yesterday:

solar roof in processand here it is today — all done: AWESOMENESSSSS.

And check out the a-DOR-able crew who did all the work: It was supposed to take 3 days and they actually finished in 2 days! Swift and efficient. Such sweet sorrow to see them go…

Now all that’s left is to be hooked up to the grid. It may take a while, but I promise to post as soon as DWP says we’re good to go.

And I know I mentioned this before, but the best part may be the fact that, because we’re doing the lease option, um, we haven’t had to write a single check; it’s all in the lease. So, for the next 20 years, we’ll pay exactly the same electric bill we do now.

Want more info on this for your house? Check out GoSolar Mar Vista on OpenMarVista.net or SolarCity.com. And I didn’t get any better deal for writing this than anybody else would. See for yourself.

13 thoughts on “Mar Vista’s Latest Solar Home: Mine!

1. December 3, 2009 at 9:05 pm

This is so awesome!! You are leading the way for everyone else. So proud to know you!
    .-= melissa´s last blog ..Thanksgiving 2009 =-.

2. December 3, 2009 at 10:03 pm

FAB-U-LOUS!!! I’m so thrilled, I think I’ll run some numbers and see if I can get it to work for us. What a pioneer you are!
    .-= Cynematic´s last blog ..Happy Birthday to me. =-.

3. Mar Vista Mom
    December 3, 2009 at 10:14 pm

You’re making me blush!

4. Mar Vista Mom
    December 3, 2009 at 10:15 pm

I’m thrilled, too — but not really a pioneer. I’m just so happy to finally be able to use the sun in such a sunny region. It just made sense. I hope it works out for you as well!

5. December 4, 2009 at 12:06 am

Hey Sarah, you’ve won a disaster kit from my review blog! Email me at bonggamom@yahoo.com with your mailing deets!
    .-= bonggamom´s last blog ..Zooni Mop Top Hats =-.

6. December 4, 2009 at 7:46 am

Way to go Sarah!!!! I can’t wait to see them. Check out this solar map – Mar Vista beat Culver City and Santa Monica but Venice is way ahead of us! We will see a big jump when the DWP does the hook up on all the homes that have been installed under the Go Solar initiative – http://lacounty.solarmap.org/
    Me, competitive? No…… 🙂

7. Mar Vista Mom
    December 4, 2009 at 7:51 am

Competitive? Yes! But in a good way! 😉

And I’m happy to do my part in the competition!

8. yvonneinla
    December 6, 2009 at 9:09 pm

this is great, sarah. i need to get on the waiting list. we’ve been talking about getting solar panels for years, but it was too expensive. I’m so glad you posted about this!!

9. December 6, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Good for you. It looks like you really went full out. How much power will this provide you? For those who are a bit “DIY” you can save a lot of money by making and installing your own as well.
    .-= Nick´s last blog ..Solar Space Heater: Using Solar Power To Heat Your House in the Winter =-.

10. Chelsea
    December 11, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Wow that so cool sarah, Great stuff on here glad to be able to check in

11. nice
    April 8, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Competition always brings out the best!!!!

12. Mark
    April 11, 2011 at 6:50 pm

It’s one thing to talk Green, but another thing to actually go green. Practicing what you preach gives real meaning to the words.