Sundays are Farmer’s Market Days in Mar Vista, and it’s time I started a new weekly feature describing what’s in the market and just what people are going to cook with it all.

Today was the first Sunday of the month, which means the Mar Vista Arts and Crafts Collective had members selling their wares as a bonus. I chatted with Birgitta Kastenbaum and admired the gorgeous jewelry she makes by hand.

In terms of prepared food, I noticed a nacho and tamale stand today, which was new to me. Of course the omelet guy and the BBQ stand were there, as was the taco stand. The juice stand and the kettle corn are always there, and there are 2 bakeries and a new deli stand with home made pastas.

There were beautiful winter vegetables in abundance today, and I got some zucchini for a little saute action.
Zucchini.JPG
Luckily, since we live in California, so many things can grow at this time year, and I saw lots of broccoli, cauliflower, and broccoli rabe. Not for me today.

I got some mint, cilantro and thyme.
Herbs.JPG
Mint for my sassy water, cilantro for my son’s tacos tomorrow night (I do not eat cilantro), and thyme because I read it makes a great throat soothing tea. I also got avocados because I really do not think I can live without them in my house.
Avos.JPG

So how about you? What are you buying at the market and what will you make with it?
An original post by Sarah Auerswald.

8 thoughts on “New Sunday Feature: Mar Vista Farmer’s Market Round-Up & What Are You Making With That?

1. January 4, 2009 at 6:28 pm

Sassy water my eye, that mints got mojito written all over it.

2. January 4, 2009 at 7:17 pm

Am I so transparent?

3. kim
    January 5, 2009 at 2:42 pm

that’s so funny I was thinking the same thing!

4. January 5, 2009 at 2:48 pm

The mint really is for sassy water! I only drink mojitos in the summer months!

5. January 5, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Ahem…we all know what the mint is for! And we are just jealous that we don’t make that quote sassy water unquote like you do!
    More importantly, does the knife sharpener guy come to that farmer’s market? My knives are getting dull.

6. January 5, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Why, yes, the knife sharpener guy sets up shop every week — he’s down at the Venice Blvd. end. And he does a great job.
    And I appreciate the compliment on my skill at “sassy water”, which is what I bought the mint for in the first place!

7. Stefani Alonso
    January 6, 2009 at 9:24 pm

I didn’t go to the farmer’s market, in Mar Vista, but I always pick up at least 4 avocado’s from my local market, so that I can make my delicious guacamole dip. I would also pick up the other ingredients such as lemons, cilantro, and onions. Healthy and Yummy! Nic, my 4 yr old, says he doesn’t like avocados, but he loves guacamole (go figure). Try that with your tacos, cilantro optional.